Water By Alarm - Homeaze

Drink a Bottle of Water As Soon as You Wake Up

This productivity tip is hot off the press.  We all hear about the benefits of drinking enough water throughout the day.  Targeting a gallon or 8, 8 ounce glasses.  The calculations are a bit fuzzy to me, but the point is clear, drink plenty.  Research suggests you get about 20% of your daily intake form food and the other 80% should come from drinking.  Yesterday while having a conversation with a friend over lunch, he suggested drinking a 16 ounce bottle of water as soon as you get up (thanks Bryan).  He had heard some benefits of doing this and has been trying it and reported positive results.  Intrigued, I decided to do a little research of my own and test it out myself.

Why First Thing In The Morning?

Not surprisingly, I found quite a bit of information around this topic and after digging in a little there were obvious benefits.  Here are a few of them:

  • It jump starts your metabolism. Research has shown that drinking 16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up speeds up your metabolism by a whopping 24% for 90 minutes!
  • You are dehydrated when you wake up. You just slept 7-8 hours (hopefully) without drinking any water! Even if you don’t feel thirsty, you probably are.
  • Water is proven to help flush out toxins.  Getting fluids into your body right after your wake up will help your body flush out toxins first thing in the morning.  Your kidney’s need this in order to operate at peak efficiency.  Your body flushes a lot of these overnight, so it’s depleted of resources to continue unless you replenish.
  • Brain tissue is 75% water. Your brain operates on less fuel when not properly hydrated.  This is what causes a hangover.  It’s also why you can feel drained, or experience fatigue or mood fluctuations.  
  • Less space for junk food. Studies have shown that people who drink water before a meal lost 4.5 pounds over a three-month period.  The primary reason is water fills up space in your stomach, leaving you feel more full at a zero calorie cost.

The list goes on, but these were some of the more compelling reasons to give this a shot.

Inspiration

Some of the productivity tips I’ve recommend are a bit challenging.  This one however is extremely simple and reinforces some of the habits I’ve mentioned in previous posts.  If you’re interested how, check out posts on environmental design and organizing your nightstand.   I gave this technique a try this morning, and while it may have simply been a placebo effect, I did recognize benefits from it.  I noticed that I was more alert quicker than previous mornings when I haven’t immediately started with drinking water.  In this instance, you have nothing to lose by trying it out so I highly recommend it.

If you do give it a shot, I’d love to hear how it works out for you and if you notice any benefits.   Leave us a comment on one of our social channels with hashtag #waterfirst #productive.